1. Grilled Cheese did not start out a sandwich. During World War II, it was just one piece of bread with a slice of cheese on top. The 1960s was when the topper was added.
2. LA once had a Grilled Cheese Invitational. From 1993 to 2014, self-proclaimed experts gathered to compete, where one of the makers would be crowned THE BEST. Sadly, the fest ended three years ago. But feel free to start an invitational of your own!
3. Mayo is the Secret Sauce. If haven’t found a grilled cheese that satisfies your childhood memories, look no more. It’s mayo. The recipe below will show you exactly how and when to apply this creamy, yummy, crisp-sandwich-making ingredient.
4. One sandwich has about 300 calories. This is according to myfitnesspal.com, but you can always make it with low-fat or no-fat cheese if you don’t want all the calories.
5. It was originally a called a Cheese Dream. Yep, between 1920 and 1970, this was what you’d ask for at a restaurant.
And the weirdest…
6. A grilled cheese once sold for $28,000. No joke, but Diana Duyser, a work-from-home jewelry designer said her 10-year-old grilled cheese sandwich bore the image of the Virgin Mary. She put it on eBay and it sold to GoldenPalace.com, an online casino.
Here’s a recipe from Bon Appetit for this cheesy bit of heaven:
• White Bread
• Kraft Singles
1. Spread mayo on slices of white bread.
2. Melt butter in a nonstick pan. Use medium heat.
3. Place one piece of bread in the melted butter mayo side down.
4. Top with American cheese. Four slices will make it most delicious, but you be the judge.
5. Top the other slice of bread with mayo, mayo side up.
6. Cook for three or four minutes until the bottom slice is golden brown.
7. Flip and see how perfect it looks!
What’s better than a grilled cheese? A grilled cheese on the beach.
If this aahsome scenario above at Allegro Cozumel is calling your name, just call our Beachologists at 1-800-915-3162 and they’ll create an all-inclusive vacation package to the beach of your dreams in the Caribbean and Mexico. Or if you want to cook up your own beach vacation package, check out our site. No matter where you end up, there are few things more delicious than noshing on a grilled cheese, your feet in the sand and a view of the dreamy blue.