Oh, the ubiquitous Selfie–there’s definitely an art to it. So, before you start snapping, work with a few of these techniques. Soon, you’ll be the Jedi master of how to take a Selfie.
1. Tweak the Lighting. On the beach, put the sun directly behind you – make sure your head is blocking the sun. Don’t face the sun or your face will be scrunched. Then you’ll glow! The golden hour to shoot a photo is during sunrise or sunset, when the light is low and the most beautiful. Remember: fluorescent lights are the enemy.
2. Keep your Chin Down and Camera up. Hold the camera high. Don’t shoot from below. Otherwise, you’ll look like Jabba the Hutt with all those chins.
3. Experiment with Angles. Tilt your head to the left and then the right as you view yourself on your phone’s screen. For most of us, one side is more attractive than the other. So, find it, and work it!
4. Adjust your Shoulder Placement. If your shoulders are parallel to the camera, turn them slightly to the left and then slightly to the right, and see what looks best.
5. Strike a Pose. Or Eight. Not everyone knows what their perfect angle is. So, style and profile! Experiment with a bunch of different poses and angles. And, don’t stare directly into the camera. Turn to the side a little bit. Strut your stuff. Learning how to take a Selfie can bring out your Inner Runway Model.
6. Crop it. Don’t like that body part exposed? Want to cut out that photo bomber? Easy. Crop it. How to take a Selfie that rocks just got leagues easier.
7. Obey the Rule of Thirds. Generally, you want your eye line to be one-third down from the top of the frame, and off to one side of the frame a little bit. In other words, try to place your face in the top-right or top-left corner of the frame. Don’t put yourself in the very middle of the frame, or it’ll look like a mug shot. No one wants that in a Selfie.
8. Snap Yourself in Water. This might be tricky in the ocean, but in the pool, it’s much easier. Float on your back, snap your Selfie, evaluate. Snap again until you are happy. Be careful not to drop your phone.
9. Try the Two-Handed Selfie. When taking a selfie, you generally have two options: Hold the camera with one hand or two hands. While using two hands is easier because you can hold the camera with one hand and push the shutter release button with the other, but be careful not to cover up the lens. If you use both hands and pull the camera away from your body, your arms can act as a frame.
10. Avoid all Selfie Clichés. Xnay on the Kim Kardashian duck-lips face. Unless, of course, you’re Kim Kardashian. Same goes for the faux gang signs. Put down the phone until that urge passes. Just be yourself.
11. Use a Selfie Stick. When all else fails, there’s always this. However, it is probably the best way to get rid of the “extended arm in the photo” effect. And while they might seem awkward at first to use, keep trying: they make your photos look great. There are two basic types of selfie sticks–wired and Bluetooth. Choose one that works best for you and go for it.
Now that you understand how to take a Selfie that will showcase all your awesomeness, why not take your excellent skills to the beach? Just dial 1-800-915-3162 and talk to one of our BhDs who can create a very photo-worthy, all-inclusive getaway to any of our sunbelievable beaches in the Caribbean and Mexico. Or if you want to check out all our vacation packages yourself, just visit our site. Hurry. The sand and surf are waiting for you to snap those Selfies and say “beeeeeach.”