So you’re going on a dreamy island getaway and might be thinking: how can I get the most out of my cell phone for my vacation? These little handheld lifelines can do so many things that you’ll want to make sure you’ve squeezed every ounce of assistance out of them. Here’s a few international cell phone tips to make sure your device goes the distance for you when you’re a good distance from home.
1. Buy a waterproof phone case. These babies are all over the Interwebs. Just google “waterproof phone case” and you’ll have a bounty from which to choose. They also come with arm bands, which is great for excursions and/or swimming. If you want to invest in a waterproof phone, there’s a Samsung that can withstand submersion for 30 minutes. See it here. Splish splash.
2. Get a portable phone charger. If your trek to Beach Eden takes an entire day, then invest in a portable charger. You’ll be in and out of planes and airports, and don’t want to be stuck with a dead phone, especially when you land and want to snap a photo of that heavenly pink-ish lavender sunset and well, you can’t. Tip: Be sure to charge this portable life-saving charger before you leave. They’re also great when you’re already in destination and going on a day-long excursion – you don’t want to miss the photo opp of you plunging headlong right off that cliff into the crystal clear ocean.
3. Take a photo of your passport. And your driver’s license and for those of us who need a memory boost, even your hotel room number. Heaven forbid you should lose any of these or worse, have them stolen – you’ll have record of them, which will be very handy in a pinch. Of all the international cell phones tips, this one can be a life saver.
4. Check your available storage. So you’re about to capture that shot of your child shaking the hand of a dolphin and OOPS, you get a message that says you’re out of storage. Ugh. Giant buzzkill. No one wants this. Before you head out on your well-deserved vacay, make sure you have extra storage. And there’s an easy way to do this. Get the Dropbox app, then go into your phone’s Settings, and turn on the Camera Upload button. When you’re in a place with Wi-Fi, your photos will automatically be moved from your phone to Dropbox, freeing up space for your next beachy adventure. To learn more, go here.
5. Store your phone in the bathroom. Coming in from the heat and humidity into a cool room is sometimes not so good for your cell phone – the sudden change in temperature could ruin it. Store your cell away from the incessant blast of A/C in a place that’s not too hot or too cold like the loo.
6. Find out if you need a PIN to check your voice mail. If you’re in Mexico, you might need a PIN or access code to check your voice mail. So before you leave, call your carrier and find out what’s what. You don’t want to have to do this while you’re trying to chillax beside the purr of the teal waves.
So are you ready to head out to the Caribbean and/or Mexico? If you’ve already booked your dreamtastic beach vacay with us, then bon voyage. If not, then don’t waste another second. Dial 1-800-915-3162 and one of our travel-savvy Beachologists will help you put together an outstanding, all-inclusive vacation package to the Caribbean or Mexico, one that you’ll remember long after you’ve returned. Or if you want to get a lay of the sand yourself, just go here to get an idea of all the aahh-mazing vacation packages we offer. Remember, when you’re ready to dive in, we’re in the sand, standing by, waiting to help.