It’s always beach bod season around here and that means we are constantly trying to find delicious, beachy recipes that don’t have to many calories. Today’s Mexican chopped salad is the perfect dish to enjoy after a long day, or in the days before your upcoming beach vacation. It’s not too heavy and doesn’t take too long to make, which makes it an instant hit with us.
Mexican Chopped Salad
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 canola oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (more if desired)
- ground black pepper (as desired)
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce (chopped in to 1 inch pieces)
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced (any color- we chose orange)
- 1 1/2 cups sweet frozen corn
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ½ medium jicama, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 bundle cilantro (1/2 chopped 1/2 for garnish)
Combine lime juice, honey, cumin, garlic and oils and whisk together until combined.
Taste and add salt or pepper if desired.
Add lettuce, bell pepper, corn, onion, zucchini, tomato, jicima, black beans, and chopped cilantro to a large mixing bowl.
Pour dressing over the ingredients and mix well until dressing coats all ingredients.
Garnish with whole cilantro leaves, sticks of jicima, tortilla strips, or any other topping desired, and enjoy!