If you want to get a taste (literally) of the Dominican Republic, then you won’t miss checking out the Mundo Autentico, or “The Authentic World” in the beautiful earth-heaven called Punta Cana. This cultural epicenter has four main shops with food, drink and smokes that exude the essence of the Dominican Republic. So prime your palate, book your vacation package and head this way.
1. Don Lucas Cigars. Here you’ll not only taste some of the finest cigars in the world, you’ll see them being made here in Punta Cana. Watch as craftsmen reveal the secrets behind these famed babies and roll them into existence. It’s truly an art. You can choose from 14 different cigars with five different strengths, which are kept in humidors to ensure optimal conditions. Best news: they accept credit cards. You must see this. We’re not blowin’ smoke.
2. Rum Tasting. You gotta love a place that offers free booze, and that’s exactly what happens when you stop into Oliver’s in Punta Cana. You can taste many of their tawny, distinct flavors you like, and if you’re smitten, grab a few bottles to bring home to friends and the fam to help them experience the flavor of the exotic Dominican Republic. Even if you’re not a rum connoisseur, your taste buds will be drinking all of this at warp speed.
3. Coffee Museum. For lovers of Joe, this little gem at Mundo Autentico is an aroma-filled dream. Here, you’ll not only see, smell and touch real coffee beans, you’ll also learn how Dominican coffee is grown, harvested and turned into your favorite hot beverage. Then you’ll get to taste some. There are a variety of brews you can take back home to help you ease back into the grind.
4. Choco Museum & Workshop. Who knew that those Mayans were chocolate lovers? They were. In this den of delicious, you’ll be schooled on the history of chocolate that includes how 2,000 years ago it was part of the ancient Maya population, as well as how it’s grown, harvested, dried and made into that rich, dark/white/milk chocolate that you can’t get enough of. If you want to learn how to make your own chocolate, you can learn how to turn cocoa beans into homemade chocolate, but not just any old chocolate. You’ll be following recipes of the Maya, Aztec and conquistadors and whipping up treats using some of the tools they used to make this irresistible substance. Yeah, this place is sweet.
5. Mundo Autentico Shop. This spot is All Things Dominican and offers an extensive menu of things to return home with: souvenirs, jewelry, paintings, sculptures – even rum and coffee if you decide you want more after hitting the previously mentioned shops. Mundo Autentico in Punta Cana is a great one-stop-shop for the stuff you can share (or keep) after you’ve returned from reveling in your aahh-mazing Dominican Republic vacation package.
So if you have a craving for the Dominican Republic in all it’s beachy, cultural splendor or any of our other aah-some destinations, then call us right now at 1-800-915-3162 and talk to one of our Bhds who can create a vacation package you’ll never forget. Or you can browse all our other epic vacation packages to the Caribbean and Mexico. No matter what, remember: life is short. The time to beach is now.