When it comes to the Dominican Republic, there are an endless amount of things to do for everyone! Whether it’s cruising on a catamaran to nearby Saona Island or Isla Catalina for snorkeling, exploring coffee plantations in the countryside, jumping into freshwater cenotes like Hoyo Azul, zip lining across the tree tops or exploring the island’s different beaches, you’ll never run out of things to do. So, without further ado, here’s an ultimate guide to the Dominican Republic.
Where to Stay + Things to do
Often when you think of the Dominican Republic, it’s easy to think of Punta Cana for its stunning beaches, great resort deals and tons of excursions to go on. After all, it’s one of the most popular and luxurious resort cities in the country. It also helps that it’s home to the second busiest international airport in the Caribbean. The fun literally never stops in Punta Cana. From swimming with the sharks at the Marinarium, riding through sugar cane plantations, beach hopping from Macao to Bavaro and diving into gorgeous, freshwater lagoons, there’s something for everyone!
Things to do in Punta Cana:
- Swim with the sharks at Punta Cana’s Marinarium
- Sail to Saona Island for a day-cation in paradise
- Explore sugar cane plantations and rice fields via ATV tours
- Plunge into Laguna Guama, a.k.a the lagoons at Indigenous Eyes Ecological Park & Reserve
- Lounge on the stunning Macao or Bavaro Beaches
- Go golfing on world-famous courses in Cap Cana
Situated along the southeastern coast of the Dominican Republic, what once was a small sugar cane and cattle-raising village, turned into charming La Romana. Now the seventh largest city in the country, this popular tourist spot has tons of natural beauty and culture to offer. From ancient Taino paintings deep within caves to authentic, Dominican cigar factories, La Romana offers tons of exciting adventures to go on and stunning views to see. If you’re looking for a cultural Dominican experience and all the breathtaking marine adventures… this is where you want to stay for your vacay to the DR!
Things to do in La Romana:
- Explore ancient Taino paintings in Cueva de las Maravillas
- Sail away to nearby Isla Catalina or Saona Island for stunning snorkel spots in crystal-clear water
- Cruise down the majestic Rio Chavon
- Sample freshly-rolled cigars at La Tabacalera de Garcia Cigar Factory
- Lounge on the stunningly-exclusive Playa Minitas at Casa de Campo
- Discover Dominican marine life via submarine
- Take a day trip to the historical capital, Santo Domingo
Puerto Plata may not be known as the largest or most luxurious Dominican destination, but the views, history and activities are endless! Ride in a cable car over 2,500 feet high to the peak of Mount Isabel de Torres for breathtaking views, take a history and culture tour of the famous Fort San Felipe or dive into the natural phenomenon that is 27 Falls at Rio Damajagua. Most widely used as a port city for cruise ships, Puerto Plata is the perfect mix of tropical and beachy to make visitors fall in love from the moment they arrive. To top it all off, we have some of the best resort deals for an unforgettable vacay in Puerto Plata, check ’em out!
Things to do in Puerto Plata:
- Take in the views from Mount Isabel de Torres
- Visit Ocean World Adventure Park, then lounge on nearby Confresi Beach
- Take a spin at all the water sports on Cabarete Beach
- Explore and learn all about the 16th century Fort San Felipe
- Dive into the iconic 27 Falls of Rio Damajagua
- Visit the cast-iron El Faro Lighthouse
Has this guide to the Dominican Republic convinced you to book that trip you’ve been holding off on for the last few months? Take the plunge and book your vacay to this gorgeous paradise of a country… you know you want to, because we sure do! Still not sure? Check out a few more reasons you need to visit the DR!