So you’re planning a trip to Jamaica, but you have no idea where to stay. Do you stay in Negril, Ocho Rios or Montego Bay? What’s the difference? While there are a few differences and vibes between the three popular Jamaica destinations, they all do have these two things in common: breathtaking views and friendly, Jamaican hospitality.
If you’re not sure which city is best for your Caribbean getaway, here’s a quick rundown of where to stay in Jamaica based on things to do and the overall atmosphere.
Known as the small, beach town destination of the three, Negril is the perfect place to stay for those who prefer a more laid-back atmosphere, longer stretches of white-sand beaches and tons of delicious food options. Home to Jamaica’s Seven Mile Beach, Bourbon Beach, Bloody Bay Beach and many other stunning beaches, Negril always has a place for our fellow Beach Lovers to plop down for the afternoon. If you want more than just beach, Negril also has incredible rocky cliffs overlooking the crystal clear Caribbean Sea that you can jump into!
Things to do in Negril:
- Cliff jump and watch the sunset at Rick’s Cafe
- Take a day trip to YS Falls or Mayfield Falls (they’re stunning!)
- Take a stroll down Seven Mile Beach
- Dine at one of many delicious beach restaurants as you listen to the waves
- Listen to live reggae music at a beach bar
- Celebrate Bob Marley’s Birthday Bash with the locals on One Love Drive
- Eat lobster at Office of Nature Restaurant
Calling all adventure enthusiasts! For those looking to explore the great outdoors in Jamaica, Ocho Rios sure has no shortage of fabulous sights, waterfalls and lush greenery to discover. This city was once a small fishing village, and has now grown to become one of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean due to tons of tourists and cruise ship passengers waiting to explore the island. While Ocho Rios is not popularly known for lots of pretty beaches, it has tons of waterfalls, hiking, rafting and zip lining to offer!
Things to do in Ocho Rios:
- Climb and play in Dunn’s River Falls
- Visit the Blue Hole
- Chase waterfalls like Konoko Falls and Shaw Park Gardens & Waterfalls
- Zip line across Jamaica’s Forest Canopy
- Indulge on mouth-watering, local cuisine at the Ocho Rios Village Jerk Center
- Have drinks with a view at popular Oceans 11 Watering Hole
- Explore the Jamaican countryside on horseback via Chukka Equestrian Center
If you’re looking for non-stop entertainment and all the boozy beverages, then Montego Bay is the perfect spot for you in Jamaica! This area is definitely more widely known as the party city of the three destinations, and for good reason! There are so many fun bars and clubs to choose from along the city’s Hip Strip, and even one of the world-famous Margaritavilles! But, even if you’re not there for the booze, there are still many other fun things to do in the area.
Montego Bay actually has several historic sites in the area worth touring, along with some great snorkeling opportunities!
Things to do in Montego Bay:
- Visit Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville beach bar
- Party along the Hip Strip
- Walk through history in Sam Sharpe Square
- Take a haunted night tour at the Rose Hall Great House
- Snorkel or scuba dive at Montego Bay Marine Park
- Take a night swim or tour through the bioluminescent bay, Glistening Waters
Surely one of these destinations is calling your name by now, and we don’t blame you! Check out some of these fabulous resort deals we have in Negril, Ocho Rios and Montego Bay to get started planning your Jamaican getaway.